The United Nations Statistics Division is committed to the advancement of the global statistical system. We compile and disseminate global statistical information, develop standards and norms for statistical activities, and support countries' efforts to strengthen their national statistical systems. We facilitate the coordination of international statistical activities and support the functioning of the United Nations Statistical Commission as the apex entity of the global statistical system.
The Statistics Division's main functions are:
- Data: collection, processing and dissemination of statistical information.
- Methodology: standardization of statistical methods, classifications and definitions.
- Capacity Development: technical cooperation program.
- Coordination: coordination of international statistical programs and activities.
Priorities as a partner of the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data
We have collaborated with the Global Partnership in various partnerships and initiatives over the years to advance our common goals. Currently, there are two primary, sustained efforts we have partnered to support member countries to access and use data to monitor SDG indicators:
- Administrative Data Collaborative: A multi-stakeholder collaborative aiming to strengthen the capacity of countries to use administrative data sources for statistical purposes.
- Data for Now: This initiative aims to increase the use of robust methods and tools that improve the timeliness, coverage, and quality of SDG data.