Africa Regional Data Cube
The Africa Regional Data Cube (ARDC) is a tool that harnesses the latest Earth observation data and satellite technology to help Ghana, Kenya, Sierra Leone, Senegal, and Tanzania address various issues relating to agriculture, food security, deforestation, urbanization, water access, and more.
The Africa Regional Data Cube:
- is demand-led and responsive to what partner countries need;
- fairly intensive on capacity-building to meet that need;
- focused on interoperability to leverage breakthroughs regardless of the platform where they may happen; and
- supports countries to develop a governance framework that embraces institutionalization leading to sustainable implementation.
See "Related News" and "Resources" below to learn more about how countries are utilizing the ARDC to implement the Sustainable Development Goals, protecting the environment and improving people's lives.
The data cube was developed by the Committee on Earth Observation Satellites (CEOS) in partnership with the Group on Earth Observations, Amazon Web Services, Strathmore University in Kenya, Office of the Deputy President - Kenya, and the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data.
The ARDC is currently transitioning into Digital Earth Africa, an evolution to increase scale, sustainability, and functionality through a continental-wide operational service on EO data. Learn more here.
Earth observation data and satellite imagery can promote food security to help end hunger:
Data cubes such as the ARDC can also play a critical role in supporting refugees, internally displaced peoples, and people living in fragile or conflict-affected states:
Africa Regional Data Cube Media Coverage
- News Quantified (USA): New Satellite Technology Tool Transforms Ability to Manage Food Security in Five African Countries
- Climate Smart Agriculture (UK): Does Satellite Data Hold The Answer To Agricultural Challenges In Africa?
- PR Web (International): New Satellite Technology Tool Transforms Ability to Manage Food Security in Five African Countries
- Relief Web (International): New satellite technology tool transforms central Africa's ability to manage food security
- Devex (USA): Satellite data is answering questions that governments have had for a long time, says @clairemelamed of @Data4SDGs #Data4DevFest
- Devex (USA):Opinion: Governments need satellite data to tackle climate-related food insecurity
- Talk Africa (Kenya; Devex Republish): Governments Need Satellite Data To Tackle Climate-Related Food Insecurity
- Talk Africa (Kenya): Kenya Among 5 African Countries to Benefit From Open Data Cube
- ITU News (International): Water and the Data Cube Revolution: Analysis-ready satellite data for better decisions
- Climate Action (International): Could Africa’s agricultural challenges be solved by satellite data?
- Via Satellite (International): Regional Data Cube to Help Manage Food Security in Africa
- Strathmore University Business School (Kenya): Kenya Hosts First Ever Africa Regional Data Cube Launch
- Benzinga (USA):New Satellite Technology Tool Transforms Ability to Manage Food Security in Kenya, Ghana, Tanzania, Senegal and Sierra Leone
- Xinhua News (China): Intergovernmental body lauds China's efforts in environmental conservation in Africa
- CNBC Africa:Satellite technology: Can it be the answer to Africa’s challenges
- K24TV (Kenya): The Daily Brief: Food Security
- Capital FM (Kenya):Kenyan farmers to benefit from free satellite images through the Africa Regional Data Cube
- Kenya Broadcasting Corporation/KBC: New satellite technology unveiled to manage food security
- KTN News Kenya: Student Entrepreneurs: KTN Prime Business Full Bulletin
- The Star (Kenya):Kenya to benefit as Strathmore hosts data centre
- News Ghana:Kenya to tackle climate change using satellite data
- All Africa (Republish of Capital FM):Kenya: Farmers to Benefit From Free Satellite Images Through the Africa Regional Data Cube
- Watsup Africa: Africa Regional Data Cube launched in Nairobi
- Tactic Senegal: Africa Regional Data Cube serving agriculture in Ghana, Senegal and Sierra Leone
- Gogeomatics Canada: From Australia to Africa, Data Cube technology empowers governments to reach development goals
- LinkedIn (USA): Three years on, do the SDGs have teeth?
- Local Development Research Institute (USA): BD4D at the Launch of the Africa Regional Data Cube
- Apolitical (UK): With creative partnerships, we can harness data to end extreme poverty
- MyJoyOnline (Ghana):The use of satellite imagery in the SDGs reporting
- Geospatial World (International):Digital Earth Africa: Satellite Data for Better Decisions
- Space in Africa (Nigeria): Africa Regional Data Cube (ARDC) project to be handed to the Kenya Space Agency
- Xinhua News (China): Program launched to track achievement of UN goals in Kenya
- The Exchange (Africa):Kenya Space Agency intensifies use of science to curb drought
- Space in Africa (Nigeria):Kenya Space Agency to Lead Efforts in Use of Earth Data to Curb Drought
- Kenyans: Government to Start Monitoring Drought From Space
- KBC (Republished from Space in Africa): Kenya Space Agency to lead efforts in use of earth data to curb drought
- China Radio International: The project to monitor the achievement of UN goals was launched in Kenya
- The Patriotic Vanguard (Sierra Leone): Statistics Sierra Leone: Key Achievements
- UN Dispatch (International): How Satellite Data Can Fight Illegal Mining in Ghana
- Global Partnership for Sustainable Development (International): Data for Sustainable Development Goals Dinner, Speech by Vice President of the Republic of Ghana Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia
- GhanaWeb: 2020 census will count every Ghanaian - Vice President
- Space in Africa (Nigeria): Kenyan Herders use SMS service to Beat Climate Change
- Techweez (East & Central Africa): Strathmore Business School, Liquid Telecom Partner to See Improved Data Analytics for Local Businesses
- SciDevNet: Satellite imagery helping Ghana fight illegal mining