The Data Values campaign is a global movement to challenge power structures in data to ensure that we all share in the benefits from its collection and use. We’re a community of hundreds of people from more than 60 countries working to create a fairer data future. The #DataValues Manifesto calls for change in how we design, collect, fund, manage, and use data. Organizations, governments, and people must act now and together to create this change.
1. Support people to shape how they are represented in data.
2. Invest in public participation for accountability.
3. Democratize data skills for greater equality.
4. Create cultures of transparency, data sharing, and use.
5. Fund open and responsive data systems so that all people share in the benefits of data.
Voices of Data Values
“My message for anybody
is don't think you're
powerless. It's people
who change policy.”Gwen PhillipsIndigenous Data Governance Expert
"When we come out and
tell our stories, we're not
doing it for ourselves,
we're inspiring others."Eric NdawulaLifeline Youth Empowerment Center
“If outsiders are coming in
and deciding and prescribing
what needs to be done,
you're never going to be
able to really target the
needs of the community.”Natalie GroverData-Pop Alliance