The Africa Regional Manager supports the Africa strategy of the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (GPSDD), a global multi-stakeholder initiative to improve the production, analysis and use of data for sustainable development, housed at the United Nations Foundation.
The Africa Regional Manager (ARM) will be responsible for supporting the GPSDD’s work in Africa. This includes supporting country level engagements and brokering multi-stakeholder partnerships to address key data gaps and challenges; following up on those partnerships and ensuring follow-through; driving GPSDD partner engagement, networking, cross-country learning, collaboration and trust-building in Africa; and supporting GPSDD’s political strategy around the value of data as critical infrastructure for sustainable development. The ARM will also be responsible for advising the Executive Director and the secretariat team on needs and dynamics in Africa and among the African members of the GPSDD.
The GPSDD is a fast-growing, dynamic international partnership bringing together over 200 different organizations including governments, UN agencies, private companies, civil society organizations, and many others. We convene, connect and catalyze action to address the problems of poor data use, access, quality and production, and to work with stakeholders to fully harness the new opportunities of the data revolution in the service of sustainable development. We aim to link and align action, capacities and resources across geographies, sectors and data communities.
We are looking for a dynamic and well-rounded Africa Regional Manager who excels at building relationships and fostering partnerships and is passionate about the need to harness the data revolution for sustainable development. This position will be central to driving greater regional engagement and delivering support to countries from a range of partners and collaborations.
- Work closely with the Executive Director, Directors and Technical Manager to drive a regional strategy and workplan to stregthn data ecosystems in Africa;
- Build and strengthen partner relationships, ensuring that the GPSDD is delivering value to its partners and that partners are able to contribute effectively;
- Facilitate connections across countries in Africa and with regional organizations to share experiences and foster learning in strengthening data ecosystems;
- Lead or support country and regional events on data in Africa;
- Work closely with the Director, Data Ecosystems Development and the Technical Manager to engage regularly with country partners and identify points of engagement to further their data roadmap for sustainable development process;
- Support and engage with GPSDD partners to broker collaborations in response to needs and ensure continued follow-up and delivery;
- Build relationships with policy-makers within and outside government to enhance political support for strengthening data production, analysis and use;
- Support the development of case studies and blogs about innovation on the use of data and technology to support sustainable development and social good with a particular focus on Africa;
- Track major regional events and processes related to data for sustainable development and advise the Executive Director and secretariat team on appropriate entry points for the GPSDD;
- Represent GPSDD as needed, at public events including in country engagements with our country partners;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree required in public policy, data science, statistics, international development, or other relevant field, plus 7-10 years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with policy influence in Africa on data science, statistics, or international affairs preferred.
- Prove track record of building cross-sectoral partnerships that deliver results.
- Ability to manage partnership relationships with diplomacy, seeking win-win solutions. A demonstrated ability to work effectively with a variety of constituents is a must.
- Experience developing programs and strategies in Africa.
- Experience designing workshops and other events with country officials and extended stakeholders to understand needs and drive outcomes.
- Excellent writing, editing, interpersonal, and oral communications skills.
- Creativity and a strong knowledge of new ways to communicate about data.
- Attention to detail and adherence to deadlines.
- Strong skills working in teams and across many types of organizations – collaborator; problem solver; relationship-builder; with a knack for convening stakeholders across varied sectors.
- Sense of humor; highly organized; demonstrates grace under pressure; and delivers results in a fast-paced environment.
- A willingness to travel, domestically and internationally (around 25-35%, depending on needs) and the ability to interact with people from diverse, multi-cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.