GeoCensos is an enthusiastic NGO with outreach and networks in the region of Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC).
We are technological activists with solid ethical values. We believe in a vibrant citizenship that promotes true civil participation values, such as fostering real empowerment and advocating for public accountability. We promote global and universal values. GeoCensos is a legally registered not-for-profit organization subscribed by a community of more than 50 experts on census geo data and cartographies. In our experiences in many of the 2010 census round in the LAC region we contributed with ideas and solution to more than 10 national statistics offices.
We promote transforming projects in geospatial disciplines and earth sciences, also working in the application of data generated by geographic observation . We advocate for the defense of:
- Civil rights to demand accountability via open data, portals of transparency, one-window offices, and technical disaggregation of data at all levels of power, ranging from public to civic or private, when appropriate.
- Citizen empowerment, eliciting and systematizing local knowledge, specially around territorial issues.
- Open use and access to geo data, in particular datasets that have been generated with public funds.
- Inclusiveness in the technological world to economically unprivileged groups using training, educational and inductive programs. We put our best efforts to create together social, environmental, territorial, land property and climate change mitigation solutions.
- Bottom Up innovation, i.e. changing realities and involving technologies to address solutions performed by vulnerable groups through small demonstrations, scaling them eventually to more influential groups.
Summarizing, we work together because we want to map together a better world.
Priorities as a partner of the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data
To demand accountability via open data, portals of transparency, one-window offices, and technical disaggregation of data at all levels of power, ranging from public to civic or private, when appropriate.