Chief Incubation Officer, Civicus World Alliance For Citizen Participation
- The engine room
DataShift aims to assist citizen-generated data initiatives across the globe, particularly in the Global South, and improve the complementarity, comparability and harmonization of citizen-generated data. It envisions a future where citizen-generated data is widely considered legitimate and reliable and used in civil society campaigning.
The initiative wants to tackle four challenges — a capacity gap among civil society groups to produce and use citizen-generated data, insufficient opportunities for civil society organizations to convene, collaborate, experiment and innovate with citizen-generated data, lacking harmonization and coordination between citizen-generated data, and disconnects between locally driven, citizen-generated data initiatives and global policy processes and accountability frameworks.
This collaborative is active in Argentina, Kenya, Nepal and Tanzania.
- Developing new collection techniques
- Opening, sharing and leveraging existing data
- Increasing data literacy and capacity
- Catalyzing the mobilization and alignment of resources
- Fostering the development of principles and good practices
- Supporting effective decision- and policy-making
- Linking national/subnational sustainable development activities to the SDGs, including via the development of replicable models for monitoring and accountability