Countries around the world are in the process of harnessing the data revolution for sustainable development. The Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data supports country-led efforts to advance whole-of-government and multi-stakeholder Data Roadmaps for Sustainable Development.
One way it does so is through the Data4SDGs Toolbox, a set of tools, methods and resources developed by Data Champions from around the world, adapted and compiled by the Global Partnership.
The Data4SDGs Toolbox will help countries to create and implement their own holistic data roadmaps for sustainable development — roadmaps that are responsive to and drive positive change on the ground. The Toolbox will address institutional, policy, technical, resources and capacity issues, among other things. It will help countries to address challenges and seize new opportunities in the collection and use of real-time, dynamic, disaggregated data to achieve and monitor the SDGs and their own sustainable development priorities.
The Toolbox is being developed using an iterative, multi-stakeholder approach that is informed by an ongoing series of consultations and national workshops — at national and subnational levels — in countries around the world. It is intended to help:
- Coordinate multi-stakeholder and institutional arrangements to ensure country ownership on roadmap implementation.
- Align SDG data roadmaps with national priorities and building on existing plans.
- Prioritize efforts to increase and improve the utilization of data for decision-making, citizen empowerment, innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Define the essential minimum package of SDG data.
- Establish SDG monitoring baselines.
- Identify key data gaps and action plans for filling data gaps.
- Identify opportunities and risks for the use of new sources of data.
- Develop interim milestones on SDG targets.
- Support capacity building and innovation for the generation, sharing and utilization of data at national and subnational levels.
A set of modules featuring good practices, guidelines, technical tools and resource partners is being assembled for beta release at the High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development in July 2016. A framework for the Data4SDGs Toolbox is illustrated in this graphic; modules highlighted in green may be included in the Toolbox’s beta release: